FEED and Conceptual Stage
Investment at this stage is critical to give clients full confidence that all prospective options have been rigorously assessed to select the most viable option that gives the best return on investment.
RB Plant’s unique and holistic approach involves dialogue with the client at the outset to understand their business drivers and map out prospective technology options. A key example of where we’ve applied this approach is using horizon scanning to identify various waste heat recovery options for a major steel processing company.
We execute a full site survey of the existing process, utilities and infrastructure and a benefits vs risk analysis for each option relative to the existing conditions, showing:
- Required CAPEX investment, typically +/-30%.
- OPEX typically operating cost savings relative to existing.
- Footprint requirements and impact on existing plant equipment.
- High level hazard studies.
- Client/RB Plant/third party scope.
- Budgetary equipment quotations and vendor package battery limits.
- Project planning including RACI matrix showing all client/RB Plant/third party dependencies.
- Any required development/investigative work to satisfy all technical risks.
We also sit in on sanctioning/CAPEX justification reviews with the client executive team to support our client engineers in presenting the most pragmatic and financially attractive case. We have a very high success rate in achieving sanctioning for progression to the detailed design stage.
The value of our client’s investment in this FEED work pays for itself multiple times over, for example as soon as we identify when a potential option reaches the limits of technical or commercial feasibility, we will recommend not to pursue the option further thereby avoiding further abortive work. Not to mention the cost of variations, increased construction costs or having to apply for extra funding.
Once a project progresses to this stage, we add more definition and accuracy to the selected option normally to +/-5%. Our expertise includes but is not limited to:
- Multi-disciplinary engineering design:
- Process Calculations and Modelling – expertise in ASPEN, ABB-PEL.
- Hazard Studies
- FDS, URS and control philosophy.
- Electrical, Instrument and Control Systems Design.
- Mechanical including pipe stress analysis.
- 2D & 3D Pipework and Structural Spatial Layout Designs.
- Detailed equipment specifications and vendor assessment:
- Review Tender Packages.
- Vendor Quality Assessment.
- Technical Bid Analysis (TBA).
- Procurement & Expediting.