RB Plant Construction Ltd (RBPC) were instrumental in assisting Trewithen Dairy to upgrade a small family-run, farm-based dairy to a full-scale modern production facility employing over 200 people.
Trewithen Dairy produces 80m litres of milk annually to be sold in major supermarkets and stores across the South West. Trewithen Dairy also produces cream, yoghurt, and clotted cream for supermarkets and ice-cream production.
RBPC were integral in assisting Trewithen Dairy with all the major engineering and management activities associated with the £12m upgrade project across a period of 7 years.
The upgrade included:-
- RBPC were responsible for the design and management of the build of the upgraded production facilities and re-fit of existing buildings. This package of works included the design of the high care and low care production areas, changing facilities, laboratory, new creamery (including ovens and frezers for Clotted Cream production), milk bottling hall, packing facilities, cold storage, services plant room, HV and LV substations and switch rooms, and the lorry park and loading bay facilities.
- RBPC were responsible for the design and specification of the new production facilities, CIP, steam system and boilers, tankage, effluent and laboratory facilities, cold store, and bottling handling and filling.
- RBPC were responsible for the design and specification of the new electrical supply and distribution from overhead HV supply to field distribution. RBPC designed the entire system and oversaw the installation and commissioning, including all technical co-ordination with Western Power and equipment specifications.
- The entire project was co-funded by the SWRDA, and RBPC played a significant role in ensuring compliance with all grant authority requirements and applications.
RB Plant’s client, a global manufacturer and supplier of technical leavening agents, were experiencing increased demands in export markets. This identified a requirement for increased production and up sizing of the current facility. RB Plant were engaged to provide design for both relocation of existing equipment and expansion into existing buildings.
RB Plant have to date designed schemes based on this original scope and more recently new schemes as our client have subsequently committed to an additional building and a new build on the same site. We have had to be creative in our design to accommodate improved layouts of existing equipment as well as new installations over three identified phases of work.
RB Plant have also supplied construction phase cost estimates to provide civil / structural, electrical, mechanical and HVAC engineering disciplines, detail design and project management, construction management, CDM and procurement services. Our client is proceeding on this basis
RB Plant have satisfied all deliverables to date whilst processing changing scope demands and scheme options. RB Plant have provided consultancy services in excess of 650-man hours and are looking forward to moving on to the next phase of work. We have satisfied our client’s expectations and look forward to a continuing and mutually beneficial relationship
RB Plant’s client’s, project was to increase the capacity of the Mill & Starch manufacturing facility to 240000 tons of wheat grind/year with an annual operating capacity of 21t/hr of flour throughput . RB Plants initial role was to carry out a preliminary study to encompass:
- Detailed Process Schematics
- Process Layout
- Equipment & Line Capacities
- Numerical Catalogue of Project Tasks & activities
- Accurate Project Costs
- Project timescale & preliminary program
- Production Plan & Outage schedule
From the above RB plant was then tasked with the construction/installation of the plant & equipment to achieve the required processing improvement as listed below .
RB Plant main challenges were the following:
- Flour Mill
- Install additional Satake Debranning Technology to increase mill capacity to 21t/Hr
- Dough Preparation & Separation
- Install Flour Water mixer to Client’s standard
- Install Batter residence Loop
- Install Hydrocyclone separators to the Client’s “Pate Mole” standard
- Gluten Drying & Milling
- Up rate gluten dryer feed system
- Install additional gluten dewatering equipment
- Up rate gluten milling system with standard Client’s Freres Mill
- Up rate existing dryers
- Install intermediate Starch slurry storage
- Upgrade Finished Product Storage & out load
- Starch Refining Process
- Install additional fibre removal equipment to Client’s standard
- Replace current refining hydrocyclone system with Client’s standard
- Install QX separator equipment on secondary starch (A-) stream
- Soluble Process
- Pipe work to be reviewed
- De-Bottleneck solubles evaporation stage
- Replace the starch Provox system with Foxboro system
- Upgrade compressed air system
- Upgrade electrical distribution system
- Install additional boiler water treatment capacity
- Upgrade buildings & roads
All other work identified & defined by Pre-Project study
RB Plant’s end result of all the works above was beneficial operation on time and within budget . Allowing for increase production capacity to begin on schedule.
RB Plant ‘s main benefits to the client were through their increased processing capacity & plant throughput increase. Also, by updating their electrical & control systems better process control was achieved & reduced loses through better overall control of the plant