RB Plant Engineering Consultancy | Multi-Disciplinary Engineering Design | Logo

Articles

Re-engineering bacteria to eat plastic

Plastic pollution accounts for around 14 million tonnes of plastic ending up in the earth’s oceans every year. From entangling them, to suffocating, them to ending up in the bodies of sea creatures, plastic pollution is having a massive impact on ocean ecosystems...

Solar panels that generate electricity at night.

Earth continuously receives huge amounts of solar energy from the Sun of which around 30% is instantly reflected from surfaces like snow, particles in the atmosphere, and clouds back into space. The remaining 70% warms the planet. However, that energy doesn’t...

Setting objectives and key results

Objectives and Key Results (OKR) is a collaborative, longer-term, goal-setting framework used by teams to align and engage around a set of measurable objectives which can be tracked over an allotted span of time. Crucially, OKRs are a framework that helps a...

Vaulted floor may cut carbon

Researchers on the ACORN (Automating Concrete Construction) project, a collaboration between the UK universities of Dundee, Cambridge, and Bath, have developed a vaulted floor design which they hope will help decrease the construction industry’s carbon footprint...

New material may help control building temperatures

Berkeley Lab, the US national laboratory that conducts scientific research on behalf of the Department of Energy, has developed a roof coating which, depending on the weather, can keep buildings cooler or warmer. When it’s warm, the material reflects sunlight and...